Name your family’s favorite outdoor activity to do and Michigan has a state park or recreation area where you can do that. Does your family like beaches? Check. Does your family like to hike, fish, canoe, bike or dive? Check. Perhaps your family is into winter activities like skiing, snowmobiling, tubing or sledding. Yep, Michigan has state parks and recreation areas where you can do that too.
Chances are if your big family is into outdoor activities, then you’d love to stay at the park too. We researched Michigan’s state parks and recreation areas to find cabins, yurts, and lodges that will accommodate your big family. Enjoy!
Bald Mountain Recreation Area – Lake Orion, MI
Bald Mountain Recreation Area has some of the steepest hills and most rugged terrain in southeastern Michigan. The extensive trails, inland lakes, trout streams and wild game provide recreation opportunities all year long.
- Arrowroot Cabin – Rustic electricity-free cabin with a view of the lake, screen windows, 4 triple bunk beds and 4 double beds. Woodstove for heat (wood provided but gathering wood is allowed as well). Countertop and cabinets, table and chairs. Outside hand pump for water, vault toilet, 2 picnic tables, grill, and fire ring. Sleeps 20.
- Morel Cabin – Rustic electricity-free cabin with a view of the lake, screen windows, 6 triple bunk beds, 2 single beds and deck. Woodstove for heat (wood is provided but gathering wood is allowed as well). Countertop and cabinets, table and chairs. Outside hand pump for water, vault toilet, 2 picnic tables, grill, and fire ring. Sleeps 20.
Brighton Recreation Area – Howell, MI
Brighton Recreation Area provides a combination of high, irregular ranges of hills, interspersed with a number of attractive lakes. The area has several miles of trails available for equestrian riding, mountain biking, and hiking.
- Aji-jaak – Single-room cabin overlooking Caroga Lake. 4 sets of bunk beds, no linens provided. Furnished with bench table, has LP Gas for heat, no electric, no AC. Sleeps eight.
- Migizi – Secluded single-room cabin in an open area surrounded by trees. Triple bunk beds for sleeping, no linens provided. Furnished with a bench table, has LP Gas for heat, no electric, no AC or fans. Grill on site. Sleeps 20.
- Wabizi – Single-room cabin with access and a view of Bishop Lake. Great location for bird watching. 4 sets of bunk beds, no linens provided. Furnished with a bench table, has LP Gas for heat, no electric, no AC or fans. Sleeps 8.
- Wegwaas – Single-room cabin, bench table, and 4 bunk beds. Cabin has LP Gas for heating. Close to the road and short distance from the parking lot. No linens provided. No electric, no AC or fans. Sleeps 8.
- Windigo – Secluded single-room cabin, Farthest from the road. 4 sets of bunk beds, No linens provided. Furnished with bench table, has LP Gas heat, no electric, no AC or fans. Sleeps 8.
Cheboygan State Park – Cheboygan, MI
Cheboygan State Park has a system of well-marked trails that provide access to scenic Lake Huron vistas and glimpses of rare wildflowers.
- Modern Lodge – sleeps eight with three bedrooms, one bath, kitchen appliances
Craig Lake State Park – Champion, MI
Access into the park can be an adventure. Vehicles with high ground clearance are recommended. The park contains six full lakes and a variety of wildlife such as deer, black bear, beaver, loons and moose.
- Keewaydin Lake Yurt – 20 feet around, lake and forest floor surfaces, woodstove heat with cooktop, small propane grill, bring your own 1 pound propane bottles, 2 log bunk beds with mattresses, armoire, and table and chairs. Sleeps 6.
- Large Cabin – Heat with stone fireplace and woodstove that has cook top. Three bedrooms, with four sets of twin bunks with mattresses, one futon couch/bed, dining table and chairs. There are also two cots available for use. Sleeps 14.
- Small Cabin – Woodstove heat, one small bedroom with bunk bed, large bedroom has two log bunk beds and one log full size bed; mattress provided. This cabin also has a cabin and chairs. Wood available for indoor heating and cooking. Sleeps 8.
Fayette Historic State Park – Garden, MI
Fayette Historic State Park houses a Historic Townsite, a representation of a once bustling industrial community.
- Furnace Hill Lodge – sleeps up to 10 people, includes a fuel-efficient furnace, remodeled kitchen, all appliances and bedding
Fort Custer Recreation Area – Augusta, MI
Located in Augusta between Battle Creek and Kalamazoo, Fort Custer features three lakes, the Kalamazoo River, second-growth forests, prairie restoration areas, a 219-site campground, and a multi-use trail system used by mountain bikers, equestrians, hikers, and dog-sledders.
- Lakeview Cabin – Bunkbeds that sleep 12, gas heat, grill, fire circle, picnic tables.
- Riverside Cabin – Located along the Kalamazoo River, popular with families and hunters, adjacent outhouse,charcoal grill outside, picnic table, fire ring, bunkbeds, gas heat, no electricity, water available at park office, riverbank fishing is accessible from cabin. Sleeps 6.
- Trailside Cabin – Bunkbeds that sleep 12, gas heat, grill, fire grill, picnic tables.
Grand Haven State Park – Grand Haven, MI
Grand Haven State Park has a beautiful sandy shore on Lake Michigan along the west side of the park and the Grand River along the north side of the park. The park consists entirely of beach sand and provides scenic views of Lake Michigan and the Grand Haven pier and lighthouse.
- Modern lodge – Lodge includes a queen size bed, a double, two twin beds and a couch that pulls out to a queen size sleeper for a total capacity of eight. All linens and towels are provided, along with a washer and dryer. The modern kitchen has a refrigerator, stove, microwave and all cookware and eating utensils are supplied.
Harrisville State Park – Harrisville, MI
Nestled in a stand of pine and cedar trees along the sandy shores of Lake Huron. The park is within walking distance of the resort town of Harrisville and it’s many events and close to Sturgeon Point Light House.
- Sunrise Cabin – lake view and screened windows and doors. It sleeps 6 people in 3 sets of bunk beds. The one room provides a large dining table with bench seats and two chairs. The cabin also has propane heat, a refrigerator, and an oven/stove top. There are hooks on the ceiling available for lanterns. No linens or cooking utensils provided. No electricity. Outside grill.
Hartwick Pines State Park – Grayling, MI
The principal features of this park are the 49-acre forest of Old Growth Pines and logging museum.
- Bright Lake Cabin – Cabin has three bunk beds: one with a full mattress on the bottom, the rest are twin. It is also furnished with a table with benches and propane heat. Outside is a hand pump for water, a vault toilet, picnic table, a grill and fire ring. There is no electricity in the cabin Sleeps 7.
Highland Recreation Area – White Lake, MI
Offers 5,900 acres of forest, marshes and lakes in the rolling hills of Southern Michigan. With trails to accommodate equestrian riders, mountain bikers, hikers and skiers, there’s an activity for every season.
- Bass Lake Lodge – includes a foosball table, TV/DVD player and gas fireplace. Sleeps six.
Hoeft State Park – Rogers City, MI
Hoeft State Park is a heavily wooded park with a mile of sandy, Lake Huron shoreline. A paved non-motorized trail connects the park to Huron Sunrise Trail which stretches to Rogers City riding along the beach next to Lake Huron and ends at the world’s largest open pit limestone mine.
- Sears and Roebuck Modern Lodge – features three bedrooms, sleeps up to eight people. Sun room, game room, master bedroom with attached bathroom.
Island Lake Recreation Area – Brighton, MI
The park has great canoeing, volley ball courts, picnic shelters, and swimming.
- Blue Spruce Cabin and White Pine Cabin – The cabins provide campers with an Up North experience close to the city. Water supply is shared with the White Pine Cabin. Cabin has bunk beds, propane heater, a closet, and a grill.Vault toilets nearby. Sleeps 20.
Little Presque Isle State Forest – Champion, MI
Enjoy the seclusion and quiet of a log cabin get-away among the birch and pine woodlands of Harlow Lake and Harlow Creek. Natural beauty surrounds you with eighteen miles of hiking trails, over four miles of Lake Superior beach, breathtaking scenery, fishing opportunities, and wildlife at Little Presque Isle.
- Six cabins – The log cabins are one room that can accommodate up to eight people. Water is provided by an outdoor hand pump and vault toilets are nearby. A woodstove provides warmth in cold weather. There is NO electricity at Little Presque Isle.
McLain State Park – Hancock, MI
Offering two miles of sand beach on Lake Superior. Visitors can also enjoy a variety of activities in the park: fishing, windsurfing, berry picking, beachcombing, sight-seeing and hunting. The sunsets at McLain State Park are spectacular and the view of the lighthouse is magnificent.
- Birches Cabin – The cabin sleeps 8 people, has LP gas heat, and a cook stove. No electricity or light is provided. Has a lake view with screened windows and doors. Fire pit with grill outside.
Mears State Park – Pentwater, MI
Charles Mears State Park is located in the quaint village of Pentwater along the Lake Michigan shoreline and a swimming beach is adjacent to the harbor pier.
- Dune Grass Villa – sleeps eight and includes cable TV, a washer and dryer, fire circle and grills.
Metamorea-Hadley Recreation Area – Metamorea, MI
Consisting of 723 acres with 80-acre Lake Minnewanna in the center Campers, hikers, boaters, anglers, hunters, cross-country skiers and others enjoy a wide variety recreational opportunities throughout the year
- Camper Cabin – Two bedrooms, one with bunk bed and the other with full bed. Has a living room with a refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, fold out couch and ceiling fan. There is a fire pit, picnic table and outdoor grill. Electrical service with 8 outlets and electric heat. Sleeps 6.
Mitchell State Park – Cadillac, MI
The park is situated between Lake Mitchell and Lake Cadillac and provides an excellent opportunity to view a variety of wildlife. A historic canal connects the two lakes and runs directly through the park. A popular camping, fishing and boating destination.
- Loon Cabin – Lakeview with water access and row boat. No A/C. There are 2 bedrooms with bunk beds. One living room with futon. Refrigerator/freezer, microwave oven. Electrical service with 7 outlets, and a ceiling fan/lights. Electric heat. Sleeps 6.
Muskegon State Park – North Muskegon, MI
With over two miles of shoreline on Lake Michigan and over a mile on Muskegon Lake. A luge run is available for winter park visitors as part of the Winter Sports Complex.
- Yurt – Contains 2 cedar bunk beds, 2 stacking cots, a table and chairs, a wood stove, skylight, and solar lantern. Sleeps 7.
Ortonville Recreational Area – Ortonville, MI
5,400 acres containing high wooded hills and a wide range of recreational activities.
- Pines Cabin – Has 10 sets of bunk beds. No linens provided. Gas heat. Furnished with dining table. Sleeps 20.
Porcupine Mountain Wilderness State Park – Ontonagon, MI
Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park (60,000 acres) is one of the few remaining large wilderness areas in the Midwest. Towering virgin timber, secluded lakes, and miles of wild rivers and streams make a visit to the “Porkies” a trip to remember. Black bears are common in the Porkies.
- Kaug Wudjoo Lodge – sleeps up to 12 people in a private location overlooking Lake Superior.
- Big Carp Bunk – Bunk beds with mattress. Sleeps 6.
- Gitche Gumee 8 Bunk – 4 bunk beds with mattress. Furniture provided is a dining table, chairs and benches. Sleeps 8.
- Mirror Lake 8 Bunk – This rental includes the use of a canoe or rowboat, paddles/oars and PFD’s (lifejackets) at cabin. 4 Bunk beds (8 single beds) with mattress. Sleeps 8.
- Union River 8 Bunk – 4 Bunk beds with mattress. Furniture provided is a dining table, chairs and benches. Sleeps 8.
- Whitetail 8 Bunk – 4 Bunk beds with mattress. Furniture provided is a dining table, chairs and benches.
Tahquamenon Falls State Park – Paradise, MI
The highlight is the Tahquamenon River with its waterfalls. The Upper Falls, one of the largest waterfalls east of the Mississippi has a drop of nearly 50 feet, more than 200 feet across and a water flow of more than 50,000 gallons per second.
- Lodge – located halfway between the upper and lower falls at Tahquamenon Falls State Park, provides easy access to trails for hiking, snowmobiling and cross-country skiing, and accommodates up to eight people.
Thompson Harbor State Park – Rogers City, MI
Situated along seven and a half miles of Lake Huron shoreline, this undeveloped park provides a rustic retreat for hikers exploring the park’s six miles of trails.
- Cedar Haven – Gas lighting, two bunk beds and a pull out couch sleep 6 people. Includes dining table with 4 chairs, propane stove and cooktop. No linens or kitchen supplies provided. Vault toilet outside, outdoor hand water pump.
- Stone Path – Rustic stick built cabin.
- Two bunk beds and a pull out sofa sleep six people, includes dining table and 4 chairs, propane stove and cooktop . No linens or kitchen supplies provided. Gas lighting, vault toilet outside, outdoor hand pump.
Traverse City State Park – Traverse City, MI
This park features a quarter mile of beautiful beach on the Grand Traverse Bay. The park is only two miles from downtown Traverse City.
- Cottage – sleeps 11
Twin Lakes State Park – Toivola, MI
Twin Lakes State Park is situated in Michigan’s Copper Country located in Houghton County, 15 miles northeast of Mass City and 26 miles southwest of Houghton/Hancock on Highway M-26.
- Modern lodge – sleeps six
Van Riper State Park – Champion, MI
Van Riper State Park contains one-half mile of frontage on Lake Michigamme with a fine sandy beach. There is also one and one-half miles of frontage on the Peshekee River. A slow drive through the north of the park may reward you with the sight of a majestic moose!
- Cully Gage Camper Cabin – Contains sets of bunk beds with mattresses, a futon, table and chairs, mini fridge, microwave, coffee pot, electric heat. Sleeps 6.
Waterloo Recreation Area – Chelsea, MI
The park has 4 campgrounds, beaches, picnic areas, 11 fishing lakes, nature trails, 47 miles of hiking trails, cabins, equestrian trails and the Gerald Eddy Discovery Center.
- Camper Cabin 1 – The cabin will sleep 6, one double bed, one bunk bed with 2 beds, and a double fold down futon. Bedding is not provided. The cabin has electricity and lights in each room. Electric heat. No air conditioning. Screens on windows. There is a small refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, and small counter top inside. Sleeps 6.
Wells State Park – Cedar River, MI
Includes 678 acres, a three-mile sandy beach shoreline for swimming, large picnic area, a modern campground and rustic cabins that are available to rent year round. The park is open year round for winter recreation such as cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and ice fishing.
- Poverty Cabin – One room cabin with kitchen/dining and sleeping area. Sleeps 8 in bunk beds. Night stands and dresser provided. Kitchen/dining area includes a gas range. Gas heater, dining table, and chairs. No linens or kitchen supplies provided. No electricity.
- Rock Cabin – One room cabin with kitchen/dining and sleeping area. Sleeps 10 in bunk beds. Dresser and benches provided. Kitchen/dining area includes a gas range. Gas heater, dining table, and chairs. No linens or kitchen supplies provided. No electricity.
- St Martin – Three room cabin with kitchen/dining and sleeping area. Sleeps 9 in 7 bunk beds or double beds. Dresser and benches provided. Kitchen/dining area includes a gas range. Gas heater, dining table, and chairs. No linens or kitchen supplies provided. No electricity.
- Summer Cabin – One room cabin with kitchen/dining and sleeping area. Sleeps 9 in 8 bunk beds or double beds. Dresser provided. Kitchen/dining area includes a gas range. Gas heater, dining table, and chairs. No linens or kitchen supplies provided. No electricity.
- Washington Cabin – One room cabin with kitchen/dining and sleeping area. Sleeps 12 in bunk beds. Dresser, night stands, and benches provided. Kitchen/dining area includes a gas range. Gas heater, dining table, and chairs. No linens or kitchen supplies provided. No electricity.
- Bay Stone Lodge – sleeps up to 10 people in a cozy, cottage-style house.
Wilderness State Park – Carp Lake, MI
Wilderness State Park offers visitors a variety of year-round recreational activities within it’s over 10,000 acres including 26 miles of beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline and numerous trails.
- Blue Stone Cabin – The interior is very basic and is one room. The cabin interior consists of four bunk beds, table, chairs or benches, counter top and a wood stove. Sleeps eight.
- Bunkhouse 1, Bunkhouse 2, Bunkhouse 3 – Building has 12 bunk beds to sleep 24. Equipped with electric lights, ceiling fan, and outlets. There is a cafeteria style folding table inside with 12 metal folding chairs and a wood stove for heat.
- Caps Cabin – The interior is very basic and is one room. The cabin interior consists of four bunk beds, table, chairs or benches, counter top and a wood stove. Sleeps 8.
- Waugoshance Cabin – Each cabin has a firepit, picnic table, and charcoal grill outside. The interior is very basic and is one room. The cabin interior consists of four bunk beds, table, chairs or benches, counter top and a wood stove. Sleeps 8.
Yankee Springs Recreation Area – Middleville, MI
Three special points of interest in Yankee Springs are: Devil’s Soupbowl, a glacially carved kettle formation, Graves Hill Overlook and The Pines. The park has mountain biking, horseback riding trails, fishing piers, beaches and nine lakes for fishing and lots of winter activities.
- Bear Den – A cabin with a sleeping area and breakfast nook. Has bunk beds, dining table and chairs, benches, mini refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, ceiling fan, and fireplace. Linens and kitchen supplies are not provided. Sleeps 6.
- Crane House – The cabin has a sleeping area and breakfast nook. It also has bunk beds, dining table and chairs, benches, lamps, refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, ceiling fan and fireplace. Sleeps 8.
- Deer Lodge – A cabin with a sleeping area and breakfast nook. Has bunk beds, dining table and chairs, benches, lamps, refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, ceiling fan and fireplace. Sleeps 8.