Missouri’s state park system, which on multiple occasions has been ranked as one of the top four state park systems in the nation, contains 87 state parks and historic sites plus the Roger Pryor Pioneer Backcountry. We found 11 state parks with big family cabins. If your family loves to hike, you’ll love Missouri’s state parks as Missouri was named the “Best Trails State” in 2013. There are almost 1000 miles of managed trails and more than 500 miles of National Recreation Trails. Enjoy!
The cool waters of the St. Francois River and Big Creek frame a wooded setting with trails that range from easy to challenging.
- Cabins 9,10,11,12,15,17 — Sleeps 6. Two-bedroom cabins with one queen bed in each bedroom and a futon in the living room. Central air. (Fireplace in cabins 15 & 17)
- Cabin 18 — Sleeps 10. Five bedroom cabin with four queen beds, one full-size bed, a futon in the living room, two bathrooms. Fireplace and central air.
A Bennett Spring “hike” can be a leisurely stroll along the tree-shaded spring branch, or an invigorating seven miles to tour an interesting natural tunnel. Those looking for less rugged pleasures will enjoy the rental housekeeping cabins, the public swimming pool, and the park’s rustic dining lodge. The park offers fly fishing, camping, canoeing, and hiking, among other activities.
- River Duplex Cabins – Sleeps 6. 2 bedrooms with a queen bed in each bedroom and a hide-a-bed.
- Spring Duplex Cabins – Sleeps 6. 2 bedrooms with a queen bed, two twins, and hide-a-bed.
- Four-Plex Unit – Sleeps 6. 2 bedrooms with a queen, two twins, and a hide-a-bed.
Located on the Grand Glaize Arm of the Lake of the Ozarks and is the largest state park in the state. The park’s thousands of wooded acres have lots of places to get away from it all, with 12 trails that wind through the park. And Ozark Caverns – complete with its lantern-light cave tour – presents an unforgettable experience.
- Outpost cabins – 8 available, sleeps 6. Developed in 1993 and upgraded in 2011, each cabin features tables and chairs, a wood-burning stove, electricity, a ceiling fan and lighting, air conditioning, supplemental heating, and sleeping accommodations for six people. Infants and children count as occupants. These accommodations include two three-quarter size beds (sized in between a twin and a full) in the loft and one double futon bed downstairs. To prepare for your experience, bring your camping gear such as sleeping bags, pillows, cooking and eating utensils, and water containers. The rustic cabins do not have running water, so plan accordingly. Cooking and smoking are not allowed inside the cabins
Nestled in the southeast region of Missouri, Lake Wappapello State Park offers a variety of recreation opportunities ranging from an exciting day on Lake Wappapello to a quiet stroll through the Ozark forest.
- Two-bedroom cabin – 7 available, sleeps 6. Two-bedroom cabin amenities include bathroom; kitchenette with sink, refrigerator, electric cooktop and oven, pots and pans, coffeemaker, toaster, microwave, and seating for six; television/DVD player combo; heating and cooling; bed and bath linens; picnic table and outdoor fire ring with grill.
- Three bedroom cabin – 1 available, sleeps 10.
The Meramec River flows by and majestic bluffs, dramatic caves, and well-groomed trails surround visitors at Meramec State Park. Swim, raft or boat on the Meramec, or explore the park on one of its hiking trails. The park’s visitor center offers a large aquarium that shows the diversity of aquatic life found at the park.
- Cabin 9 – Two-bedroom cabin sleeps 6
- Cabin 11 – Four bedroom cabin sleeps 10
- Cabin 19 – Five bedroom cabin sleeps 10
Located 21 miles southwest of Salem, Missouri in the heart of the Ozarks. The seven crystal clear springs within Montauk State Park combine with Pigeon Creek to form the headwaters of the Current River. Your big family will enjoy the fishing and hiking. All cabins are non-smoking and have either a tub or shower. Several cabins offer a kitchenette with a stove, refrigerator and pots & pans.
- Cabin 3 – 3 bedrooms with 3 queen-sized beds, microwave, and TV.
- Cabins 7 & 8 – 2 bedrooms with 3 double beds.
- Cabins 9 through 12 – 2 bedrooms with 2 queen-sized beds and a double-sized sofa sleeper.
- Cabins 26 through 29 – 2 bedrooms with 2 queen-sized beds, a Murphy bed, microwave, dishwasher, and a gas log fireplace. Cabin 26 is handicapped accessible.
- Cabins 30 through 33 – 2 bedrooms with 2 queen-sized beds and a double-sized sofa sleeper.
With locations on both the Hermitage and Pittsburg sides of Pomme de Terre Lake, Pomme de Terre State Park offers a little bit of everything. A marina and boat ramps make it easy to get in the water and fish for bass, walleye, catfish, crappie, or muskie. Two public swimming beaches make for great places to cool off or laze the day away. Two hiking trails satisfy an appetite for adventure.
- Lake House – Enjoy the comforts of home in this wood-frame lake house. Located on the Hermitage side of the park near the park office, the lake house is within short driving distance of a boat launch and picnic area. The house sleeps up to six people. Two bedrooms each offer a queen-size bed, with a third bedroom offering single bunk beds.
The park contains one of the premier trout fisheries in the nation, stocked each night. The natural setting – towering hills above a deep blue spring — provides a scenic backdrop to adventures.
- Duplex Cabin – Sleep 6. Have a kitchen, satellite television, 2 bedrooms with one double bed in each room, and a pulldown Murphy bed in the living room. These cabins are located on Highway F near the center of the park.
The clear waters of Stockton Lake beckon visitors to water ski, scuba dive, swim, or fish. And Stockton State Park is the perfect place to do it. Stockton Lake is one of the top lakes in the nation for sailing.
- Two-bedroom duplexes – Sleep 6. Have a full pull-out sleeper sofa, two queen size beds, a modern kitchen.
- Three-bedroom house – This home sleeps 8 comfortably. This home features 3 queen beds, 1 twin bed, and 2 futons that make into full-size beds.
The cool waters of Forest Lake provide the centerpiece for Thousand Hills State Park, whose woody shores and broad savannas recall a time when northern Missouri was far less developed. The lake offers fishing, swimming, and boating. The park offers hiking, mountain biking, and abundant opportunities to see wildlife. An interpretive shelter helps visitors understand the petroglyphs left behind by the area’s inhabitants more than 1,500 years ago.
- Duplex cabin – Seven available, sleeps 6 with rollaway. Each unit has a bath with a shower, patio, picnic table, barbecue grill, and color TV. Kitchen amenities include table service, apartment size stove, refrigerator, and microwave.
Enjoy short day hikes on Ozark trails, swim at the pool, learn about petroglyphs, fish, or take a 3 or 7-mile float down Big River.
- Three bedroom cabin – Sleeps 12. Full kitchen, linens included heat or A/C, charcoal grill, and fire ring.
Find big family friendly hotels in Missouri:
Popular Missouri Destinations
- Branson Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Cape Giraradeau Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Columbia Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Independence Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Jefferson City Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Kansas City MO Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Springfield, MO Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- St Charles Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- St Louis Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8