3.8 1 0.5
Convenient location, major renovation
(Updated: November 28, 2014)
Overall rating

Hotel Condition

Service & Staff

Amenities

Room Comfort/ Cleanliness

This Embassy Suites has a great location, being close to many popular San Diego attractions. We stayed the week of Thanksgiving - Sunday through Thursday.

The hotel website said that the public areas would be undergoing renovation and they weren't kidding. This wasn't just new carpet and a fresh paint job, they had gutted the whole entire main level. The staff had to make do with holding breakfast and the evening reception along the hallways of the mezzanine level. Breakfast was still very good with many hot and cold choices along with made to order omelets. However the evening reception was a disappointment, only offering two items and veggies with dip with no hot items at all.

We had asked for a bay view room, we were given room 1209 which is a corner bay view room. The sitting area was half the size of a normal room. Since we were staying with six and didn't want to be cramped, we went down to ask for a different room. We were offered a city room with an upgrade to Premium Suite status.

The Premium Suite status is a $30 package that includes Wifi (normally a $12.95/day charge) and access to free snacks. I didn't want to give up the bay view but with 4 teens, the free Wifi and snacks convinced me to move to another room on level four with half city, half bay views.

I don't recommend the Premium Suite upgrade. The free snacks were just a glorified vending machine with a bowl on top with a few pieces of fruit. The inventory of the machines didn't seem to be monitored as the water choice was out Sunday - Tuesday until I said something to management.

I was indecisive about renting a car, there is only valet parking which is shocking $40/night; which almost doubled the daily rental of our van. I would suggest exploring other transportation possibilities. Attractions such as the zoo and Coronado beach are a short 4-5 miles away as is the airport. The USS Midway museum and Hornblower bay cruise are within walking distance.

My kiddos enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub although they said both were on the cold side. Located onsite are a Baskin Robbins and a Dunkin Donuts. Also onsite is the PFC Bar & Grill.

I would stay here again and suggest that they add a airport shuttle since they are so close to the airport.

Family Size

Family Size
Family of 6
Age of Children
19, 16, 16, 13
T
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account