Maryland has everything from the Appalachian Mountains and the Chesapeake Bay to marshland on the Eastern Shore to the Atlantic Ocean. Maryland has 66 state parks and five state forests. We found 10 state parks with cabins that sleep at least six. Maryland’s diverse and beautiful public lands were the reason the National Geographic Magazine called the state of Maryland “America in Miniature”. Enjoy!
Updated 2022. All campsite, lodging, and day-use reservations can be made through the Maryland Department of Natural Resources Reservations page.
Cunningham Falls State Park – Thurmont, MD
- Mini-Cabins – 4 available, sleep 6. Each camper cabin has a set of bunk beds, one double bed and one futon that opens out into a double bed. Campers must provide their own linens. All cooking must be done outside of the cabin. There is a fire ring at each cabin. There are no refrigerators. The cabins have no heating or cooling systems.
Deep Creek Lake State Park – Swanton, MD
Fishing is generally good on the lake with stocked trout, walleye, bass, and yellow perch being the most abundant. The park includes approximately 1 mile of shoreline on this, Maryland’s largest man-made lake. Interpretive programs, consisting of evening campfire programs, and talks and hikes on the natural and cultural resources of the park, are led by a park naturalist and are available at various times throughout the year and by special request.
- Mini-Cabin – 2 available, sleeps 6. Each cabin is equipped with two sets of bunk beds and one small double bed. Inside light, electric, heat, and electrical outlet. Outside lantern holder, fire ring with grill, picnic table, porch. Cabin has two small rooms. Must provide linens.
- Yurt – 1 available, sleeps 6. A Yurt is a round canvas structure built off the ground. Has 2-sets of bunk beds, 1-double bed, a small table with 6 chairs. Light. Electric Heat. Electrical outlet inside. Outside is a lantern holder, fire ring/grill, picnic table, small porch. Must provide bed linens.
Gunpowder State Park – Jerusalem Mill Village, MD
One of Maryland’s largest state parks with over 18,000 acres in Harford and Baltimore Counties. Gunpowder features more than 120 miles of trails, protected State Wildlands, historic sites, fishing and canoeing/kayaking streams, a swimming beach, and a marina.
- Mill Pond Cottage – sleeps 8. Two bedrooms and 1.5 bathrooms. Towels and bed linens provided. Full kitchen and washer and dryer. Screened porch, central heat, and air conditioning.
Herrington Manor State Park – Oakland, MD
The park offers swimming, canoeing, kayaking, picnicking, hiking, tennis, volleyball, and 20 furnished log cabins for rental use year-round. Interpretive programs are scheduled during the summer, and popular special events such as maple syrup demonstrations and apple butter making are held in the spring and fall of the year.
- Cabin – 14 available, sleeps 6. The cabin is heated, has a fully equipped kitchen, bathroom. 1-Queen Bed and Twin beds. Cabins 4,5,7,8 and 12 have full upstairs. Cabins 13 – 20 have a loft. Cabins 4,5,7,8,12 have futon. Personal items such as towels, soap, linens, pillows, blankets, etc are not provided.
Janes Island State Park – Crisfield, MD
Located near Crisfield on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, Janes Island State Park offers visitors a unique opportunity to enjoy the beauty and bounty of the Chesapeake Bay. The island portion of the park – Janes Island – includes over 2,900 acres of salt marsh, over 30 miles of water trails, and miles of isolated pristine beaches.
- Cabins – 4 available, sleeps 6. Each cabin is equipped with a bathroom, fireplace w/gas logs, heat and air conditioner, screened porch, refrigerator, stove, microwave, cooking/eating utensils for six, coffee pot, toaster, hot water, 2 single beds in 2 bedrooms & loft, and a double bed in the 3rd bedroom. Bed linens, blankets, and pillows are not provided.
New Germany State Park – Grantsville, MD
New Germany’s 13-acre lake is the center of activity in the summer. Boating, fishing, and swimming are among the most popular lake activities. The Nature Center has exhibits designed to help a variety of audiences gain better awareness, appreciation, and understanding of natural history, ecological principles, and natural resource management. During the summer, park rangers and naturalists prepare a schedule of programs and activities, including “Campfire” programs that feature guest speakers on a variety of topics from native plants to cultural history.
- Cabins – 1 cabin sleeps 8. Nine single beds. Cabin is equipped with: Refrigerator, Stove, Microwave, Toaster, and Coffee pot. Basic cookware, dinnerware, flatware, and glasses are provided, please bring your own bakeware and/or specialty items, including salt & pepper. Restroom with shower.
Pocomoke River State Park – Snow Hill, MD
Located within the 15,000 wooded acres of Pocomoke State Forest in the Southwestern section of Worcester County the park provides a base for a vast array of outdoor and tourist activities. The Shad Landing Pool is perfect for a cool dip on a hot summer day. The Nature Center at Pocomoke River State Park houses interactive exhibits and tanks containing reptiles, amphibians, and fish native to the Pocomoke River area.
- Mini -Cabin- 3 available, sleeps 6. Two-room cabin sleeps six persons with one double bed and two bunk beds. The cabin has electricity, light, ceiling fan, indoor table, and chairs. Open-air porch and porch swing. All cooking must be done outdoors. No linens provided. Occupants share water spigots and a centrally located bathhouse with other campers.
Rocky Gap State Park – Flintstone, MD
Rocky Gap State Park is located in Western Maryland’s Allegany County with over 3,000 acres of public land. Throughout the summer, the nature center offers daily activities such as nature hikes, talks, nature crafts, demonstrations, children’s programs, campfire programs, and special events.
- Mini-cabin – 4 available, sleeps 6. Mini-cabins have 1 set of a bunk bed (twin size), 1 full-size bed, and 1 full-size futon. Cabins have 1 set of bunk bed (twin size), 1 full-size bed, and 1 full-size futon.
- Easter Hill Chalet – 1 available, sleeps 8. There are 3 bathrooms and 3 bedrooms with 1 queen bed, 1 double/full bed, 1 set of bunk beds, and 2 rollaway cots. Linens are not provided for the bedrooms and bathrooms; guests must bring all the necessary bedding and linens for their stay, as well as dish soap and dish towels. The kitchen includes a refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher, microwave, utensils, dishes, pots, and pans as well as a coffee maker.
The 628-acre park offers a marina, boat launching ramps, a picnic area, a camping area, pavilions, a recycled tire playground, and nature trails.
- Mini-cabins – 2 available, sleep 6. Cabins are accessible to persons with disabilities. Inside are 2 sets of bunk beds and one double bed. Air conditioning, heat, lights, and electricity. Outside is an open-air porch/deck, picnic table, and fire ring w/grill. There is not a kitchen.
Tuckahoe State Park – Queen Anne, MD
Tuckahoe Creek, a quiet country stream bordered for most of its length by wooded marshlands, runs through the length of the park. A 60-acre lake offers boating and fishing. The park offers 20 miles of scenic hiking, biking, and equestrian trails, flatwater canoeing, hunting, picnicking, as well as a recycled tire playground for children.
- Mini-cabin – 2 available, sleep 6. One double bed and two sets of bunk beds.
Looking for a big family friendly hotel in Maryland?
Popular Maryland Destinations
- Annapolis Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Baltimore Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Bethesda Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Frederick Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Gaithersburg Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Hagerstown Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Ocean City Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Rockville Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8