When spring days warm up and your family starts making summer plans, it can be challenging to navigate the perfect destination for your large family.
Canada’s Wonderland, located in Vaughn, Ontario (25 miles north of Toronto), is the perfect place to spend time together where your large family will have the most amazing time with lots of choices for everyone from the youngest in your group to the thrill ride seekers.
This 350-acre theme park hosts multiple areas including water parks/slides, thrill rides, family rides and a special section, Planet Snoopy, a perfect place for those younger family members. There are shows to see when you want to take a break from it all, delicious theme park foods to try and a spectacular fireworks show to end your day.
This year there are even more live shows and special events during July 1 – July 31 for Celebration Canada 150.
Not To Miss Rides – For All Ages
For The Thrill Seekers
Each year Canada’s Wonderland offers up at least one new and exciting ride. For 2017 two new rides opened that we cannot wait to try out.
- Muskoka Plunge – an 18 m (60 ft.) tall waterslide complex featuring four-speed slides located in Splash Works.
- Soaring Timbers – this unique ride will send your family spiraling on two massive rotating gondolas that swing riders through arcs while rotating 360 degrees.
Both Leviathan and Behemoth are well-known thrill ride roller coasters and are not to be missed by the older, thrill seekers in your family.
First-time roller coaster thrill seekers will enjoy Dragon Fire or The Bat – both great options for the more tentative members of your family.
For The Water Lovers
Splash Works – for those visitors from outside of the Greater Toronto Area, it may be worthwhile to plan to spend 2-3 days exploring everything that Canada’s Wonderland can offer. Splash Works is a huge waterworks park perfect for your large family. Spending a day here and renting a cabana may be a nice second-day choice and still includes access to the park to hit those rides you missed on your first day.
If you are with a large family of multiple interests and ages, there are parts or your day at Canada’s Wonderland that you will have to split up – the park is simply too huge. But there are a few must-do rides that are memorable for the entire family.
- White Water Canyon – be prepared to get wet. This one can get quite busy so it is recommended to do this as one of your first rides.
- Timberwolf Falls – if you’re wet from the White Water Canyon – stop here on your way back to the main area (you’re wet already) or standing on the bridge to watch the ride is a great way to cool off during those hot afternoons.
- Antique Carousel – because who can resist a beautifully crafted carousel?
- Swing of the Century – a fun, easy ride safe for all ages.
For The Younger Family Members
Planet Snoopy was created for those younger family members who want to enjoy tamer rides and has multiple things to keep children occupied.
- The Ghoster Coaster is a great ride to introduce your large family’s youngsters to roller coasters.
- Swan Lake is a relaxing ride for children who may require quieter rides.
- Dinosaurs Alive! is a fun and educational place for any dinosaur-loving member of your large family.
What is any theme park without trying out traditional park food?
There are many dining options from take-and-go to sit down in the shade type of dining. Canada’s Wonderland tries to offer many choices for families with special dietary needs. For your convenience, Canada’s Wonderland website is very helpful listing all dietary restrictions and what dining options are suitable for each one.
Make sure to leave room for the famous Beaver Tails, Funnel Cakes or Tiny Tom Donuts!
Canada’s Wonderland always has tons of shows for those families who crave a little break from the rides. Two not to miss are:
- Victoria Falls Divers
- New for 2017 is a night-time spectacle light show celebrating Canada’ s wondrous beauty and promises to be even better than the traditional fireworks offered each year.
One last tip, if you are considering spending 2 or more days at this theme park, you may want to consider the Season Pass. It is a great value. Also, the Fast Pass option is available at a cost, well worth it for a large family.
Canada’s Wonderland is always an amazing adventure and this year with Celebration Canada 150 in full swing across the country, it is a perfect time to visit one of the premier theme parks in North America.