Your big family will find plenty of programs, events, activities, and things to do at Virginia State Parks. Unplug and plan a vacation getting back to basics. But don’t worry, you won’t have to rough it. Many of the cabins in Virginia’s state parks have air conditioning and full kitchens. We found 19 state parks with big family friendly cabins. Enjoy!
Blue Ridge area
Claytor Lake State Park – Dublin, VA
Fill your days with swimming, camping, hiking and picnicking, sport fishing and boating. The park has a full-service marina with docking slips, supplies, fuel, boat rentals and refreshments. The historic Howe House has interactive exhibits describing the ecology of the lake and the surrounding areas. Guests can also rent bikes and enjoy a universally accessible fishing pier, picnic shelters, a seasonal snack bar, and playgrounds.
- Cabin 13 – sleeps 8. Three bedrooms, two bathroom wood framed cabin with water views. The cabin has rustic furniture and has heat and air conditioning. Full kitchen.
- Lodges 14, 15, 16 – each sleep 16 – Six bedroom, three bathrooms, water view lodges. Lodges have rustic furniture and have heat and air conditioning. Full kitchens.
Hungry Mother State Park – Marion, VA
Long a family favorite known for beautiful woodlands and a placid 108-acre lake in the heart of the mountains, Hungry Mother has a sandy beach with bathhouse, boats and a boat launch, and a universally accessible fishing pier.
- Cabins 6, 8, 10-20 sleep six. Full kitchen. Includes heat and AC.
- Hemlock Haven cabins – require weekly stays
- The Pines Cabins cabins 21-25 – These cabins each sleep six. It has two bedrooms, one with a double bed and the other with two sets of bunk beds. There’s a full-service kitchen, dining room, and a living room that has a sofa.
- Chestnut, Sycamore, and Hickory cabins – each sleep eight. All have decks, small refrigerators, heating-AC, and microwave ovens. These cabins are designed for outdoor grilling; each has a deck and an outdoor grill.
- Hungry Mother Lodge – six-bedroom lodge sleeps 15. Saturday – Saturday rental. Master bedroom with a double bed and private bathroom and tub, three bedrooms with queen size beds, one with two sets of bunk beds (making four beds), one bedroom with a single bed and a set of bunk beds (making three beds), and two full bathrooms with a universally accessible shower. Free Wi-Fi, full kitchen, heat and AC, washer, and dryer.
Bear Creek Lake State Park – Cumberland, VA
Located in the heart of the Cumberland State Forest in central Virginia, Bear Creek Lake is the perfect getaway for the outdoor enthusiast. Activities center on the 40-acre lake with a boat launch, fishing pier, boat rentals, and a swimming beach. Guests also enjoy the park’s trails and the Cumberland Multi-use Trail, which is available for hiking, biking, and horseback riding.
- Two-bedroom frame cabin, maximum capacity six, one queen bed, two sets of bunk beds, kitchen
- Two-bedroom frame water view cabin, maximum capacity six, one queen bed, two sets of bunk beds, kitchen
- Three-bedroom frame cabin, maximum capacity eight, one queen bed, two single beds in the second bedroom, two sets of bunk beds, two bathrooms, kitchen
- Three-bedroom frame water view cabin, maximum capacity eight, one queen bed, two single beds in the second bedroom, two sets of bunk beds, two bathrooms, kitchen
- Bear Creek Lodge – six bedrooms, maximum capacity 16, three bathrooms, universally accessible, a queen size bed in each of two-bedroom, two single beds in two bedrooms, two sets of bunk beds each in two bedrooms, kitchen
James River State Park – Gladstone, VA
The park features rolling grasslands, quiet forests, and beautiful views, as well as 3 miles of shoreline along the James River. Visitors can hike, bike, canoe, kayak, or fish on the banks of the historic river or at Branch Pond.
- Lodge 5 and Lodge 16 – 6-bedroom lodge – maximum 16 people, three baths, universally accessible, two queen size beds in two bedrooms, two single beds in two bedrooms, two sets of bunk beds each in two bedrooms, kitchen, heat and AC, washer and dryer
- 2-bedroom frame cabin – maximum six people, one bath, one queen bed, two sets of bunk beds, kitchen
- 3-bedroom frame cabin – maximum eight people, two baths, one queen bed, two single beds in the second bedroom, two sets of bunk beds in the third bedroom, kitchen
Smith Mountain Lake State Park – Huddleston, VA
On the second-largest freshwater lake in the state, there are numerous water activities, including swimming, boat rentals, and a boat ramp.
- Two-bedroom frame cabin Two bedrooms; wood frame; one queen bed; two singles; foldout couch; ceramic tile floors with carpeted bedrooms. Two-bedroom cabins have a bathroom with a shower. Sleeps 6.
- Two-bedroom frame water view cabin – Two bedrooms; wood frame; one queen bed; two singles; foldout couch; ceramic tile floors with carpeted bedrooms. The two-bedroom cabins have a bathroom with a shower. Sleeps 6.
- Three bedroom frame cabin – Three bedrooms; wood frame; two queen beds; two singles; foldout couch; ceramic tile floors with carpeted bedrooms, and two bathrooms. The three-bedroom cabins are meant to sleep six. Eight are allowed, but this relies on the use of a fold-out sofa for the extra two people.
Twin Lakes State Park – Green Bay, VA
In the heart of central Virginia, this 495-acre, historic park offers many cultural, environmental, and recreational activities. Visitors enjoy swimming, fishing, hiking, boating and lakeside picnicking.
- Cabins 1-6 have two bedrooms, and each cabin sleeps up to six people. The cabins have a queen or double bed in one bedroom and two sets of bunk beds in a second bedroom.
- The Hill Lodge – four bedrooms with two sets of bunk beds in each sleeping 16 total. Full kitchen.
Chesapeake Bay area
Belle Isle State Park – Lancater, VA
With seven miles of shoreline on the Northern Neck’s Rappahannock River, this park provides access to Mulberry and Deep creeks. The park lets visitors explore a wide variety of tidal wetlands interspersed with farmland and upland forests. Bicycle, canoe, kayak, and motorboat rentals are available.
- The Bel Air House sleeps six. Full kitchen, washer, and dryer.
- The Bel Air Guest House sleeps eight. It can be rented along with Bel Air House. Full kitchen.
Westmoreland State Park – Montross, VA
On the Potomac River’s Northern Neck, this park offers many opportunities for family fun. It’s listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has an Olympic-sized swimming pool and an adjacent bathhouse, meeting area, snack bar, camp store, and power-boat ramp. You’ll also find a visitor center, a playground, a fishing pier, boat rentals, and 6 miles of trails.
- Potomac River Retreat sleeps 16. The facility has five bedrooms and five bathrooms.
Eastern Shore area
Kiptopeke State Park – Cape Charles, VA
On Virginia’s beautiful Eastern Shore, this park offers recreational access to the Chesapeake Bay. It’s also a great place to explore unique migratory bird habitat along the Atlantic flyway. Guests also enjoy the park’s boat ramp, lighted fishing pier, picnic areas, 5.1 miles of hiking and biking trails, playground, beach bathhouse and swimming beach.
- Lodges – 5 available – sleep 16. Full kitchens, heated and air-conditioned, pet friendly (fee).
- Yurt – sleeps 6
- Camping lodge (bunkhouse) sleeps 14.
Hampton Roads area
Chippokes Plantation State Park – Surry, VA
A working farm since 1619, the park offers modern recreational activities and a glimpse of life in a bygone era. Visitors tour the historic area with its antebellum mansion and outbuildings, stroll through formal gardens, and view antique equipment at the Chippokes Farm and Forestry Museum.
- Three bedroom cabin (Cabin 2, Brown House). Sleeps eight. Double bed; two single beds; twin with a trundle; sleeper sofa. This is one of the oldest structures on the plantation and was built around 1850 as an overseer’s house. This two-story house has a master bedroom downstairs with a double bed, and two upstairs bedrooms – one with two twin beds, and one with a twin bed and a trundle. There’s also a sofa bed in the living room.
Search Big Family Friendly Hotels
Heart of Appalachia area
Breaks Interstate Park – Breaks, VA
This bi-state state park is located in southeastern Kentucky and southwestern Virginia in the Jefferson National Forest at the northeastern boundary of Pine Mountain. The park’s main feature, Breaks Canyon, is five miles long and ranges from 830 to 1,600 feet.
- Lakefront Cabins – three-bedroom cabin sleeps six with a full kitchen and washer and dryer.
- Woodland Cottages sleep 6 with full kitchens.
Natural Tunnel State Park – Duffield, VA
More than 850 feet long and as tall as a 10-story building, Natural Tunnel was naturally carved through a limestone ridge over thousands of years. Other scenic features include a wide chasm between steep stone walls surrounded by several pinnacles, or “chimneys.”
- Cabins 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 are two-bedroom frame cabins. They sleep up to six with one queen bed and two sets of bunk beds in a second bedroom. Full kitchen.
- Cabins 3 and 10 are three-bedroom frame cabins. Cabin 3 is accessible to the disabled. They sleep up to eight with one queen bed, two twin beds in the second bedroom, and two sets of bunk beds in the third bedroom. Full kitchen.
Southwest Virginia Museum – Big Stone Gap, VA
A National Historic Landmark, the Southwest Virginia Museum is in an 1890s Victorian stone mansion with original oak interior. The museum’s collection includes more than 25,000 pieces and state of the art exhibits telling the story of the exploration and development of Southwest Virginia from the pioneer era of the 1700s to the mining “boom and bust” era of the late 1800s
- Poplar Hill Cottage sleeps six with three bedrooms, two baths, and a full kitchen.
Search State Cabins in 50 States
Northern Virginia area
Lake Anna State Park – Spotsylvania, VA
The park has a beach on one of Virginia’s most popular lakes, a fishing pond accessible to children and the disabled, a bathhouse-concessions complex, and a boat launch. With more than 15 miles of trails, the park offers many hiking, biking, and horseback riding options.
- All cabins are two-bedrooms with a queen-size bed in one bedroom, two singles in the other, plus a fold-out sofa bed. With six occupants, the cabin is a tight fit.
- Camping Lodge (bunkhouse) – Seven bunk beds accommodate 14.
Shenandoah Valley area
Douthat State Park – Millboro, VA
Amid some of Virginia’s most breathtaking mountain scenery, visitors enjoy interpretive programs, four miles of stream fishing, a 50-acre lake stocked with trout, a sandy swimming beach with snack bar, boat rentals, a gift shop and camp store, cabins, and more than 43 miles of hiking, mountain biking, and bridle trails.
- Two-bedroom frame: cabin 33, sleeps six. One queen, and two sets of bunk beds in a second bedroom. Full kitchen.
- Three-bedroom frame: cabin 35, sleeps eight. One queen, two single beds in a second bedroom, and two sets of bunk beds in the third bedroom. Full kitchen.
- Douthat Lodge – six bedrooms sleeps 15. It has a fireplace, a full kitchen, two bathrooms, a washer, and a dryer.
- Creasey Lodge – five bedrooms sleeps 18 guests. Full kitchen, three bathrooms, washer, and dryer.
- Beards Mountain Lodge – six bedrooms sleep 16. Full kitchen, three bathrooms, washer, and dryer.
Shenandoah River State Park – Bentonville, VA
In addition to the meandering river frontage, the park offers scenic views of Massanutten Mountain to the west and Shenandoah National Park to the east. A large riverside picnic area, picnic shelters, trails, river access, and car-top boat launch make this a popular destination for families, anglers and canoeists.
- Two-bedroom frame cabin: Eight two-bedroom frame cabins; Cabins allow a maximum of six and have one queen bed, two sets of bunk beds. Gull kitchen, pets allowed.
- Three-bedroom frame cabin: One three-bedroom frame cabin. This cabin accommodates up to eight and has one queen bed, two single beds in a second bedroom, and two sets of bunk beds in a third bedroom. Full kitchen, pet friendly.
- Six bedroom lodge (Lod 03-SAT): One six-bedroom lodge accommodates up to 16. It has three baths, two bedrooms each with a queen-size bed, two bedrooms each with two single beds, and two bedrooms each with two sets of bunk beds. Full kitchen, washer, and dryer. Pets allowed.
Southern Virginia Area
Fairy Stone State Park – Stuart, VA
This park is well known for its 168-acre lake adjoining Philpott Reservoir. Attractions include hiking trails, lake swimming, rowboats, canoes, paddleboats, kayaks, picnicking, and two playgrounds, including one in the water.
- Fairy Stone Lodge sleeps 16. Five bedrooms, three bathrooms, full kitchen, heated and air-conditioned.
Occoneechee State Park – Clarksville, VA
Facilities include cabins, campsites, an equestrian campground, picnic shelters, an amphitheater, a playground, boat ramps, and a private concession offering boat rentals and snacks. The park also has 20 miles of trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding. The visitor center and museum introduce visitors to Native American history and the indigenous Occoneechee people.
- Lodges – Occoneechee has two 6-bedroom lodges. Each lodge sleeps 16, has a full kitchen, three bathrooms, washer and dryer, pets allowed.
- Two-bedroom frame cabin – sleeps six maximum, one queen bed, two sets of bunk beds. Full kitchen.
- Two-bedroom frame water-view cabin – water-view, sleeps six maximum, one queen bed, two sets of bunk beds. Full kitchen.
- Three bedroom frame cabin – sleeps eight maximum, one queen bed, two single beds in the second bedroom, two sets of bunk beds in the third bedroom. Full kitchen.
- Three bedroom frame water-view cabin– water-view, sleeps eight maximum, one queen bed, two single beds in the second bedroom, two sets of bunk beds in the third bedroom. Full kitchen.
Staunton River State Park – Scottsburg, VA
Staunton River offers much to families and outdoor enthusiasts, the 2,400-acre park offers woodlands, meadows, and shoreline along the Dan and Staunton rivers. The park also has Olympic-sized and wading pools, picnic shelters, three playgrounds, tennis and volleyball courts, several boat launches, and more than 17 miles of multi-use trails.
- Two-bedroom frame cabins sleep six with two double beds and one full sofa bed. Full kitchen.
- Camping lodge (bunkhouse) sleeps 14 with seven bunk beds.
View Virginia State Park cabin layouts.
Looking for a big family friendly hotel instead? Popular Virginia Destinations
- Norfolk, VA Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Alexandria, VA Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Williamsburg, VA Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Fredricksburg, VA Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Chincoteague, VA Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Roanoke, VA Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Charlottesville, VA Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Virginia Beach, VA Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8
- Richmond, VA Big Family Hotels Sleep 5, 6, 7, 8